Hello World!

We’re still around and costuming! We’ve definitely slowed down a lot though with life getting busy and some of us having kids (holy cow), but we’re all still active and you’ll see updates here and there.

Latest Blog Posts
Cat Mermaid Pillow
Aimee recently created an adorable cat mermaid pillow on Spoonflower. I offered to be her tester and while I was sewing up the pillow, I took photos for a quick tutorial. (I will finish the Moana costume tutorial. A pillow tutorial is faster to do, so I’m posting this first.) The fabric comes as a fatquarter with Bitey, the cat mermaid, and her friend, the octopus. Cut out all the pieces along the black lines. With right sides together,  pin the front to the back. You need to leave an opening to flip the pillow inside out. I like to use pins oriented a different direction to remind myself where to stop sewing. Stitch around the edge of the pillow using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Clip the corners. Try not to clip too close to the seam line though because you’re going to be stretching the seam when you stuff the pillow and you don’t want the fabric [...]
Fri, Dec 01, 2017 9:00:00 PM, Continue reading at the source
moana top tutorial
I’m making Moana costumes this year for Halloween, so I thought I’d do a series of Moana costume tutorials on how I am modifying the official Disney costume. To start with, I decided to re-make the top. I really like how the skirt looks, but I don’t like how the top requires straps to stay up and the top edge looks wrong. I figured it can’t be that hard to make a new top that is actually a tube top and has a shirred back for fit. Today’s tutorial is on how I created the fabric for the top. I used a freezer paper stencil to paint some linen fabric I got from Joann. (FYI, this orangish red color Moana has going on is kind of hard to find.) I posted my stencil pattern for anyone who wants to use it. It’s 7″ high and is sized to fit a 4 year old (approximately). You can adjust [...]
Mon, Sep 25, 2017 5:30:00 AM, Continue reading at the source
tue2
Big news guys! My Kickstarter just launched to fund my adorable new enamel pins! Please go check it out, we’re already 90% funded in just one day!  I’ll drawing cute animals over on my Facebook, Instagram and Twitter over the next month during the course of the Kickstarter, so please follow me there to enjoy! Reminder if you want to stay up on what I’m working on and get first dibs, please join my email list! Subscribe to our mailing list [...]
Wed, Sep 20, 2017 5:22:00 PM, Continue reading at the source
macaron pattern weights
I needed pattern weights so I was doing some research into making or buying them. I found some really cute polymer clay ones on Etsy but I am world’s biggest klutz (like I run into walls on a regular basis), and anything made from sculpey is pretty much doomed around me. Then I remembered these cute plastic macaron boxes I had seen on Amazon that I could turn into pattern weights. Those would stand a good change of surviving an unexpected trip to the floor! If you’re interested in making a set for yourself, here’s a super fast tutorial for making macaron pattern weights… Purchase a set of mini macaron trinket boxes from Amazon. Make sure you get the plastic ones. The boxes with the hinge are made of some sort of porcelain or clay and break if dropped on the floor. (Ask me how I know…) You’ll also need to swing [...]
Fri, Sep 15, 2017 6:26:00 AM, Continue reading at the source
Ikea 18th century round gown
In May, I made an 18th century round gown to wear to Colonial Williamsburg. I’ll post photos later from the trip (assuming I ever catch up on photo processing), but I wanted to post a couple of quick photos of the dress. A lot of people in the historical costuming community have made dresses using duvet covers and curtains from IKEA. I needed a breathable fabric for the heat of Williamsburg and I didn’t want to spend a ton of money on fabric, so an IKEA duvet cover was a perfect choice. I decided to dye the fabric because I don’t really like white. I washed my fabric to pre-shrink and wash out any sizing. The next step should have been to dye the fabric before cutting, but I didn’t have a pot big enough to dye an entire duvet cover. I decided to cut all my pieces out first and serge [...]
Fri, Sep 08, 2017 5:36:00 PM, Continue reading at the source